Having played David Silver on the wildly popular 1990s teen drama Beverly Hills, 90210, Brian Austin Green is best known for his breakout role in the classic series that catapulted him to fame. Over his 30+ year acting career, Green has leveraged that visibility to build an $8 million net worth through ongoing television work and wise business investments.
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Born on July 15, 1973 in Van Nuys, California, Brian Green’s acting career began in his childhood with commercials and small TV roles. His big break came in 1990 at age 17 when he landed the part of David Silver on Beverly Hills, 90210. The show became a pop culture phenomenon and catapulted Green to fame in the quintessential teen drama role.
After Beverly Hills, 90210 ended its 10 season run in 2000, Green transitioned into film and other TV projects. He starred in multiple movies like Terminator: Salvation and crossed over into roles on shows such as Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Smallville, Desperate Housewives and Anger Management.
Continued Acting and Business Endeavors
In addition to on-screen acting, Green co-founded production company Green Light Media in 2004 producing content across media formats. On the business side, he invested in ownership of several popular Los Angeles restaurants and nightclubs leveraging his celebrity profile.
Green’s acting career continues today with roles in various TV movies and shows. He also occasionally appears reprising his iconic Beverly Hills, 90210 character in reboot projects around the classic series.
Personal Life and Advocacy Causes
In his personal life, Green has been married twice, first to actress Vanessa Marcil from 2001 to 2003. In 2010, he married actress Megan Fox and together they have three children.
Green uses his fame to support animal rights activism. He is on the board of PETA and advocates for vulnerable animals. Green himself follows a vegan lifestyle.
Life After Beverly Hills, 90210
While best remembered as David Silver, Green has shown range beyond his breakout role such as:
- Playing sinister characters in movies like An Intense Man and Cross.
- Action-oriented parts in Terminator: Salvation and series like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
- Dramatic acting chops in series like Wedding Band and Desperate Housewives.
- Comedy skills on shows like Hope & Faith and Anger Management.
- Voiceover work for animation including Robot Chicken and Family Guy.
While not matching his early fame, Green has kept busy in various Hollywood projects over the decades post-90210.
Ups and Downs of Megan Fox Marriage
Green’s love life makes headlines, especially his rocky marriage to starlet Megan Fox. After meeting on Hope & Faith in 2004, the two had an on-again, off-again relationship resulting in:
- A canceled engagement in February 2009.
- Getting married in June 2010 and having 3 sons together.
- Frequently being tabloid fodder regarding marital strife.
- Fox filing for divorce in 2015 then reconciling.
- Renewed speculation of issues in 2020 when Fox was photographed without her ring.
The two have weathered intense media scrutiny, providing a reminder of the pressures facing celebrity relationships.
Potential Projects on the Horizon
Looking ahead, Green remains attached to a Beverly Hills, 90210 revival series in early development. He also has a recurring role in the upcoming reboot of Quantum Leap.
Leveraging his experience producing indie films, Green aims to direct passion project Q, a horror movie adapted from an unpublished novel he optioned.
As Green enters his 50s, he strives to balance his acting pedigree with exploring new creative pursuits in Hollywood.
Net Worth Breakdown
- The majority of Green’s $8 million net worth comes from acting, with over $6 million earned across his TV and film roles.
- His Los Angeles nightlife business ventures account for an estimated $2 million.
- Additional income streams include production company projects and small real estate holdings.
- Green invests conservatively in index funds, bonds and real estate for steady growth.
Acting Style and Critiques
Known for playing athletic, edgy heartthrobs, Green rose to fame as a teen idol. His acting style brought sensitivity and depth to potentially one-dimensional teen roles.
Critics have called out Green’s capacity for balancing brooding complexity with lighthearted warmth in charismatic performances. He is noted for on-screen chemistry with female leads.
However, some critique that Green remains typecast in youthful pretty boy roles and has struggled to transition into more mature adult parts. His close association to iconic early characters makes it challenging to envision him in starkly different arcs.
Signature Roles and Performances
While best known as David Silver, some of Green’s other signature roles include:
- Derek Reese on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles – Displayed his aptitude for sci-fi and action genres.
- Ronnie on Wedding Band – Showcased his musical talent and comedy chops in this TBS comedy series.
- Keith Watson on Desperate Housewives – Transitioned into mature dramatic acting as Bree’s love interest.
- Sean on Anger Management – Leveraged his comedic timing against Charlie Sheen.
- Nate on Knots Landing – Early dramatic role that earned Young Artist Award nomination.
- David Silver in various Beverly Hills, 90210 reboots – Reprised his fan favorite character in meta revival versions.
Favorite David Silver Memories
As David Silver, Green left an indelible mark on pop culture, including:
- Being part of the iconic West Beverly High crew led by Luke Perry and Jason Priestley.
- David’s memorable hip-hop alter ego “Da Boyz” and rap “skills”.
- The era-defining sideburns and questionable fashion.
- Dating through the show’s rotating cast of female characters.
- David’s struggles with drugs, debt, fatherhood and dreams of music stardom.
For a generation, Green and David Silver were synonymous as the ultimate LA teen heartthrob.
Philanthropy and Causes
In addition to PETA animal rights activism, Green supports several other philanthropic organizations and causes including:
- The USO – Entertains troops and advocates for veterans.
- Baby2Baby – Provides necessities for children living in poverty.
- Make-A-Wish Foundation – Grants wishes for critically ill children.
- Environmental advocacy – Supports Greenpeace and other eco-friendly non-profits.
He and Megan Fox also founded the personal care drive Stuff the Truck For Goodwill Southern California.
Social Media Presence and Pop Culture Reach
Green has over 1 million Instagram followers highlighting his family life and Hollywood insider status. He engages with fans reminiscing about the 90s era that made him famous.
The actor occasionally trends on Twitter when reprising his Beverly Hills, 90210 character in media appearances. He remains a touchpoint to nostalgia for Gen X who grew up watching the seminal teen drama series.
While no longer a tabloid fixture as at his early 2000s peak, Green still generates pop culture buzz particularly through Beverly Hills, 90210 throwbacks.
For over three decades, Brian Austin Green has entertained audiences on hit shows while accumulating multi-million dollar wealth. He continues to act in TV projectswhile expanding his portfolio through smart investing and championing ethics-based causes close to his values. Green’s example illustrates how turning fame into fortune requires both perseverance and business savvy.